August 21, 2010

road trippin 4: caspar and the bear

Of course, I had to get some hiking in on my trip up there. I did the Staircase Trail, an easy 5 mi hike (for the most part, there's very little incline/decline).
When I saw this banana slug on the trail, I nearly crapped my pants as I silently screamed like a pig being slaughtered. These things were all over the place.
All good things have to come to an end though, and after a few quiet days, I headed back south. I stopped by Healdsburg to visit Bear Republic Brewery.
To drink, I had the seasonal Whangadoodle Ale, an Imperial Amber at 8.4% abv, filled with malty goodness.
To eat, I had a disappointing clam chowder, which had the consistency and bland taste of paste.
I don't know why, but throughout the trip, I had this craving for salad, so I ordered the Santa Fe chicken salad. As described on their menu: "grilled marinated chicken breast, avocado, tomato, roasted red peppers, on a bed of baby romaine hearts and baby greens, with a red chili vinaigrette." Sadly, this fell short too. The dressing tasted mostly of oil, and none of the ingredients here tasted very fresh. I don't want to hate because I do love their beers, but at least what I tried, I have to tell it like it is.
I stopped by Oakland to visit some friends, then I was off back home. First time travelling alone, and I have to say it was a great experience, something I definitely plan to do again. If anyone is planning to do a road trip of a similar nature, I suggest bringing an audiobook or two =)
Here is what one's drinking for August. Looking forward to enjoying the barrel aged Rasputin XI.

0 rah rah rahs:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin