December 2, 2009

My first pie(s)

gawdddddddddddddddddddddamnnnnnnnnnn

I SAID, ahhhgawddddddddamnnnnnnnnnnn

Sorry everyone. I know that I've been neglecting the blog lately, but I'm still alive. Life has been quite busy, and this week is no exception w/ finals coming up. So here's a quickie on my past Thanksgiving.

I decided to step it up this year and attempt to make two pies, crust and all. Sprinkles and that cupcake craze? Nah kid. Pass me the pie son cuz I got five on it. Gimme a fatty slice, and you better make sure to put on some of that freshly made whipped cream too FOOL.


The first pie I chose to make was Uncle Richard's sweet potato pie, recipe courtesy of Homesick Texan's beautiful blog. I had actually made it the week before as a trial run and because I had never had a spp before. It turned out well, so for Thanksgiving, I decided to tweak the ratios of the ingredients. Baking that pie made me feel confident, but I got too big for my britches because I should have just left it as it was. The first pie wasn't too sweet, had a good sweet potato taste, and went well w/ whipped cream. But this pie oh deed on the spices and ended up tasting very close to pumpkin pie although you could tell that the texture and taste were slightly different. Lesson learned. Also, I don't know what I did wrong, but on both pies, there was a paper thin layer of some white froth after it was done baking (you can see it in this picture too). Any suggestions/ideas? Oh, and a holla to my sister who made the crust. It was a little bit too thick, but certainly better than the frozen stuff you can buy.


The second pie I made is a favorite of mine: banana cream pie. I got the recipe from my dad's manager, an excellent cook and baker from the east coast(she makes an apple pie for us every year, and i'd put my bollocks on the table to say that it is the best apple pie I've ever had).

The graham cracker crust was easy to make: crumbs, sugar, and butter. And yes, I am well aware that I could take a few classes on presentation, but I tried damnit! When I read the recipe, I was surprised that bananas didn't actually go into making the cream/pudding. I layered the bottom with bananas before I put on the pudding and found that the flavor had infused overnight. It was pretty fun making it, especially whisking the liquid and feeling sweet satisfaction as I felt it getting thicker. I had to skip the end part, which called for putting the pudding through a mesh sieve. I didn't have a clean one, so I didn't want to do it. Overall, I thought it tasted good, and next time, I will make a thicker crust because it came out a little too thin for my liking. I will also get some nilla wafers and put them on top too.

I'm out folks. Going up to SF once I finish my tests, so see ya in a few.

7 rah rah rahs:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job, Sawyer! I don't know about the white film and couldn't find any information on it. But as long as it tasted good, right?

As for tweaking it, how would you have known if you didn't try it? :)

I think the banana cream pie looks great. You know that saying 'easy as pie'? Ain't true. Pie is much more difficult (IMHO) than cake.

kirbie said...

Congrats on making your first pies! I haven't made a pie from scratch in a few years...Now I want to make pies. =)

Dennis K. said...

Awesome! I've been wanting to bake a savory pie myself for a while now. Thanks for the inspiration Sawyer!

ATigerInTheKitchen said...

I love banana cream pie -- do you have a recipe you can share? Your pies looked delicious...congrats!

KirkK said...

Looks great Sawyer!

imjustatree said...

good point cab...gonna try to make it again once i'm done w/ finals but use a different kind of sweet potato...
thanks kirbie! i'm gona give a shot at making an apple pie next
give it a shot dennis, i'm sure yours will turn out a lot nicer than mine =)
tiger, check ur email =)
i'll be a pro pie baker someday kirk =p

Unknown said...

i expect a pie on saturday. keep up the good work, kid.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin