November 20, 2008

A Revisit to Domo Sushi and Roll

We didn't have to evacuate luckily, so thanks for your concern. Let's go on to this week's adventure: Domo Sushi and Roll

Since I knew the place was Korean owned, I was hoping they had hwedupbap. Unfortunately, I didn't see it on their menu, but I did notice on my way out that they had some specials on the wall that wasn't on their menu. I don't think I saw hwedupbap though, but I could have missed it.

I ordered a beef teriyaki bowl $5.45 and it came with some soup.

Soup was watery. It had pieces of seaweed, which was nice.


Not bad. The sauce, which is described as homemade and zesty, reminded me of a hybrid between a bulgogi marinade and teriyaki and wasn't bad. It was an okay amount of beef. It definitely was a bit more than my last visit with the chicken bowl. Veggies were your standard steamed carrots, broccoli, and cabbage. The quality of the beef wasn't that great and was a bit stringy. The rice was average. Not pictured: the siracha sauce I put in the bowl. Overall, I give the bowl a C+. The sauce was definitely better than my last visit. And this reminds me to also try the Jack in the Box teriyaki bowls....I love teriyaki, and whether it's good or bad, I gotta try it all.


I also ordered nigiri yellowtail, tuna, and salmon. These were some big ass pieces of fish, let me tell ya. They were all around $3.25 each. Pretty cheap. You have to remember this is a fast food Japanese place, so quality wasn't great, but this was expected. Still a good bang for your buck, I'd say, if you don't care about quality, and just want nigiri. But for me, I left Domo feeling empty inside, not satisifed and wanting something better. This just won't do pig....it won't do at all. They also got your mix of rolls, which I have not tried yet.

Bottom line: Prices are cheap. Service waitress was very friendly. Sushi chef was a stern and quiet man, who probably isn't afraid to bring out the belt every once in a while.

Domo Sushi and Roll
1375 N Grand Ave
Walnut, CA 91789
*Free wifi*

Afterwards, I stopped by the 7-11 next door and what did I see?

I like these. What the "hi" means I have no idea, but they definitely have an intense fruit flavor, like a lot of Asian candies, which is something I've noticed that the average American candy lacks. It starts off a bit like gum, but thicker, and gives a more pleasant chew than taffy because it doesn't give away as easily. It slowly dissolves, while you masticate the sh!t out of it. While the sugar ate away at my teeth and gave me another cavity, I found that this was a small price to pay for such an enjoyable chew. I like grape flavor as well.

Next time: A look into some korean rice cakes. Dduk yea!

2 rah rah rahs:

KirkK said...

Hey Sawyer - Depending on the restaurant....Hwe Dup Bop may be called Chirashi....I know, it's not really Chirashi...but when I go to those Hoe type palces, I always ask.

Anonymous said...

MMM hi-chew. I like the grapefruit ones but Famima! doesn't carry them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin