November 16, 2008

Fires, Noodles, and Pies

I woke up today, hoping that the fires would have quelled down, but it had gotten worse. I am currently waiting to see whether or not we will have to evacuate, as they have already called people in the south side of DB to get out. Things are all right here, and the skies are okay, but we can definitely smell the smoke now. I hope that these fires will be controlled soon, but it doesn't look too good right now, especially with the weather being so hot. At least the winds have calmed down a bit from yesterday.

A view from the top of Diamond Bar Center, facing the south part of DB that I took earlier today.
So while I'm waiting (and because I don't want to do any school work right now), here's another post about food.

It seems that most of the restaurants across Mt. Sac are mostly a variety of Chinese and Japanese restaurants. If you want your burger fix, you can settle for Burger King, or drive down a couple of blocks to In N-Out. After another tedious week of school, I decided to check out a place called Yummy House that noticed a few weeks back, but couldn't try out because they took cash only. The front of their place says they have Taiwanese food, noodles, and dumplings. When I looked at their menu, they also had a small section for dim sum. And if you care about health ratings/are paranoid about how clean a place is, like I often am, the place got an A. However, I also remember my Chinese econ professor telling me that only real Chinese restaurants have C ratings, and the As and Bs are fakes. I know this was a Taiwanese restaurant, but just thought I'd throw that in there.



I opted for the Beef Stew Noodle. I'm not sure exactly what that stuff in the middle was, but it reminded me of an asian relish. The soup had a good amount of somewhat tender pieces of beef, noodles, and slices of some kind of cabbage(napa?). The soup was a bit sour(perhaps vinegar? as I heard that Taiwanese food uses a lot of it) and the chili oil in it gave a spicy kick, which slowly burned my lips and throat. I liked the noodles, but I couldn't finish all of the soup. The sourness of it was too much for me. My friend ordered the meatball soup (sorry no picture) which had rice noodles, cilantro, and pieces of previously frozen chicken meatballs. This soup was not spicy, and I thought the broth was rich and good. It had a lot going on in there, but what exactly was in there, I have no idea. Both of them cost around 6 bucks for a decent portion of noodle soup.
The service was curt and not very friendly. Still, I'd come here again to check out some other items.


Yummy House (located by Pho Express)
20781-2 Amar Rd
Walnut, CA 91789
*CASH ONLY*

Yesterday, I bought some pies at Coco's for a dinner party, but after sitting in traffic for a good two hours, I decided to just head back home. I was so hungry while waiting that I debated eating the pie with my hands. While I was sad that I couldn't make it (there was sashimi), at least the up side was that I had some pies. I love pies!


I got the apple pie, which was around 9 bucks. I thought that the apples could have been cooked longer, but it was okay. It was a little too sweet for me. It leaves that kind of weird taste in your mouth if you know what I mean. All in all, Coco's has some decent pies, but you really can't beat a home made pie...

The chocolate cream pie, Roughly 11 bucks. Not exactly the prettiest pie with its haphazard shavings of chocolate and ugly frosting bits. I haven't tried this one yet because I'm going to bring it into work on Monday, so I'll let you know then how it tasted.

*Update on the pie*
The word cream was misleading, as the chocolate filling turned out to be more custard than creme. It was a bit thick like pudding and enjoyable. I didn't like the frosting/creme so much around it, and would have liked more chocolate. The crust was a bit buttery and dry for my tastes, although it had been in the fridge for two days.

Coco's

20955 Golden Springs Dr
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

I cannot believe that it is 90 degrees in mid November here. This is horrible...

4 rah rah rahs:

shavedicesundays said...

Just don't eat anything steaklike at Coco's. I did once and it was goodness awful.

CAB said...

At least you're eating well among the smoke. Take care and stay safe. I'll cross my fingers that you won't have to evacuate.

Anonymous said...

LOL did you end up scooping the apple pie with your hands??

imjustatree said...

-I've only eaten at Coco's twice, and once in Korea. For some reason, Koreans think that Coco's and TGIF is a really nice place to eat.
-I didn't have to evacuate, but thanks for your concern foot!
-Haha...nope I didn't, but if I didn't turn around to go home, i probably would have. Instead I ate some jjajangmyun when I got home and a generous hunk of pie for dessert!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin