October 11, 2009

Golden City

Last bit on my past SD trip. I had the chance to get lunch with several other food bloggers: Kirk and Cathy from mmm-yoso, Carol from CABcooks and Dennis from A Radiused Corner. No shyness this time. Camera was out without hesitation. =) Kirk took care of the ordering.


Some egg rolls and crispy things were served as a part of their lunch special.


Soup or soup? I chose soup. Hot and sour (other choice was egg drop I believe)


Our waiter putting on his gloves and ready to get down to business w/ that duck. The man deftly cut the duck and wheeled the cart away.


The product: slices of crispy skin, compliments of the man's knife skills. Now grab a little of that along with some scallions...


Slap it one of these piping hot buns, fresh from the steamer. Dab a little hoisin sauce on it and...


boom! My sammwich. I have never had peking duck before and found it to be a fun experience. The total was $20, which I was told was a good deal.


The second course of duck: lettuce wraps with duck meat and some water chestnut.


Pork Intestine w/ pickled vegetables. Another new dish for me. It tasted just like you'd imagine it to be. The pickled vegetables were sweet, reminding me of pineapple/sweet and sour, and helped to cut through the offal taste. Overall though, not bad, and I got to try something new.


Steamed pork w/ preserved vegetables. Very fatty and just enough to give you a heart attack. Enjoy!


Beef stew w/ daikon.


Kwai Fei Chicken. Cold chicken in some kind of ginger sauce. Nice to gnaw on.


Fish w/ black bean sauce. I liked eating this over some rice.

So there you have it. If you're not in the mood for Mexican, San Diego is a place with few late night options, but luckily Golden City is one of those place you can go to for some cheap eats. The total for five people came to around 17 bucks/person (?)

Want to read more? Check out Carol and Dennis' take, or check out mmm-yoso for a multitude of posts as well as Kirbie's Cravings, who has recently written about GC as well.


I always liked the colors of this sign. You'll see the plaza right off the 163.

Golden City
5375 Kearny Villa Rd
San Diego, CA 92123

Good company along with trying new food made this lunch a lot of fun, and I hope to do it again sometime soon. Afterward, I saw some new massage place that opened up that had an hour massage for around 20 bucks. So to work off my food coma, off I went. Not a bad deal at all.

Enjoy your Sunday!

5 rah rah rahs:

Dennis K. said...

Hi Sawyer, great pics! It was really fun. Darn if I didn't have to rush back to work I would've joined you with that foot massage!

Unknown said...

very nice.

Anonymous said...

I think you had it right by ending that meal with a foot massage. :)

kirbie said...

Thanks for the link! You always make SD food sound so good. hehe. I'm always trying to get away from sd's food.

KirkK said...

Hey Sawyer - I had a blast, as always! Hoep to see you soon.....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin