September 6, 2010

new toys and some beef

Hello from Davis! Things have been busy with moving into my new place and orientation and such, so I'm glad to have this holiday weekend to writeup a quick post!
I went on a little splurge and, with a lot of help from CAB, I bought some new knives for my place, a Shun 4" paring knife and a Global 7" Santoku.
So far, I'm quite happy with my purchase although I am a little scared when I use them because they are quite sharp.
I've been trying to save money and eating at home, and my meals have been simple for the most part. Here is a bunch of stuff I got at the farmer's market (post to come in the future). The tortilla type thing is a potato Bolani, an afghan bread thingermabob. It's pretty darn good, a bit thin but the potatoes make it pretty filling.
What I've been missing in my diet though is meat, and after a few days, I couldn't take it anymore, so I tried making boeuf bourguignon (don't ask me to pronounce it), inspired by Paestry's lovely post. The recipe seemed simple enough and reminded me of the Stone Soup story, and I was excited to see how a few ingredients would mix together to make a tasty stew.
I know nothing about wine and just ended up getting the cheapest one. Until yesterday, I don't think I've ever had a Pinot Noir, but man it was good and so gentle on the tongue!
Down the bottle went into the pot.
After a few hours with some added mushrooms, tomato paste, and flour+butter.
I ate it with a big hunk of french bread. I made a bunch to eat for the next couple days. Overall, I was happy with the product, but next time I am going to add some herbs and see how it turns out.
In other news, I got a new roommate/my first cat! His previous owners couldn't keep him because he didn't get along with their other cat, and when they got him from the shelter, he was named "Tizer." I've been wanting to rename him, but can't think of anything good at the moment although I'm sure it'll come. Hope everyone's enjoyin their holiday!

9 rah rah rahs:

Dennis K. said...

Great knives sawyer, and cute kitty too! I'm gonna start cooking again one of these days darn it. :)

Mike said...

Nice looking knives! We have a couple of globals as our main knives and we really like them.

Mary said...

I want new knives, too! They look fancy. The kitty looks fancy, too. Here's to home cooking! :)

Carol said...

Hello little kitty! He's adorable!He's got little white sox. And how cute are those stripes.

Ooo, beautiful knives! I'm glad you like them. And a nice little haul from the farmer's market. Yum, eggplant pesto sounds delicious.

The boeuf bourguignon looks really good. And gotta love Pinot Grigio, my favorite next to a nice Fume Blanc. I like grigios because even the cheap bottles can be good.

Carol said...

Oops, had my head you know where. For some reason I read pinot grigio but then saw pinot noir. Boo. Pinot noirs are nice. I like them better than burgandies, usually. But then burgandies run a bit higher in price, not that I know much of anything about wine. I usually have a bottle or p-noir on hand, especially for cooking. :)

Meandering Eats said...

Awwww... what a cutie! Knives, especially high quality ones, are great, but I vote for the kitty as best acquisition. Good luck in Davis! Email me at moowiesqrd{at}adventuresofanamateurfoodie{dot}com and let me know how you're doing! I'm up there occasionally, so we'll have to hang out some time.

imjustatree said...

dennis: i look forward to reading your next home cooking post! i could def. learn a lot from you
thanks mike, i'm def. lovin mine so far!
mary: these are my first knives so i'm treating them like they were my babies =) lol the cat isn't fancy....just from the shelter
carol: he's grea,t but i have no idea still what to name him...lol you know more than me because i've never even had or heard of a burgundy before =o
moo: def, i've had orientation all this week, followed by an awesome ropes course at sonoma today, but now i start classes tomorrow! let me know when you come up so we can get some good eats!. and yea cat > over any knife, fancy or not =)

Unknown said...

name it Atipul. sounds like a cool cat name.

Liz said...

jealous of your new toys!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin